Tagged: Daily Cap
21/09/2023 at 00:35 #5115
Help, fare mathematicians. I thought I was a bit of an pro on these kinds of things but this has got me truly stumped.
I’m trying to work out why I got charged only £12.50 for a recent (August) weekday’s journeys, using contactless. I’ve had a bit of back-and-forth with TfL customer service emails over the last few weeks, and they simply say I’ve been charged the correct fare and offer me links to the regular webpages. I’ve tried various permutations and combinations of zonal caps, extension fares etc but can’t make anything fit the calculation.
My journeys were:
1. Morning peak-time tube+train journey from Northwood Hills tube (Zone 6) at 07:49 to East Croydon NR (Zone 5) arriving 09:07, touching out of the tube at London Bridge 08:38 and touching back in to the mainline station at 08:41 – £9.40 (which is what I expected as that’s what the single fare finder says)
2. Bus at 09:15 – £1.75
3. Bus at 09:45 – £0.00 (hopper) – actually the same service in the same direction.
4. Bus at 20:38 – £1.35 (“All Services Daily Cap”) – but I was expecting this to be a £1.75 second bus journey
5. Bus at 21:23 – £0.00 (hopper)
6. Bus at 22:02 – £0.00 (“All Services Daily Cap”) – I was expecting this to be a £1.75 third bus journey
So I thought I’d be hitting the bus+tram cap and, along with the morning journey, paying £14.65 for the day – just below the £14.90 Zones 1-6 daily cap. But instead it was £12.50 for the day.
I don’t use the network every day so was nowhere near a weekly cap for anything.21/09/2023 at 00:50 #5116MikeModerator
That’s got me stumped too. Is it possible for you to paste the actual journey history into a reply? If you’d prefer you can send it via email to mike at the site domain name. If you can include the previous travel day as well that would help.21/09/2023 at 08:27 #5117
Hi Mike, here it is:
free hopper journey, fares capped, , 23/08/2023
Northwood Hills to East Croydon (National Rail)
07:49 – 09:07
Bus Journey, Route 403
Bus Journey, Route 403
Bus Journey, Route SL7
Bus Journey, Route X140
Bus Journey, Route 282
Northwood Hills to Finchley Road
10:05 – 10:35
St Johns Wood to Northwood Hills
22:58 – 23:34
Detail for the first journey:
Wednesday 23rd August 2023
Fare for this journey: £9.40
London Bridge (London Underground)
London Bridge (National Rail)
East Croydon (National Rail)21/09/2023 at 10:29 #5118akmParticipant
Your day’s travel can be completely covered by:
8.10 for a 1-2 peak cap (also covers all bus travel)
4.40 for a 3-6 Thru extension
The extension fare doesn’t _need_ to exactly match the fare for a similar zones+farescale _journey_, but in this case it does – for example, a journey from Pontoon Dock to Erith, which is a Thru 3-6 journey, also costs 4.40 peak.
Even though your rail journey went 6-5-4-3-2-1-2-3-4-5, just one extension fare for 3-6 covers you on the way in _and_ the way out.21/09/2023 at 15:01 #5119
Thanks akm, that explains it perfectly. I didn’t realize there was only one extension fare applied, covering a non-contiguous part of the journey, but makes sense as it’s still just one journey in total.21/09/2023 at 18:10 #5121MikeModerator
Kicking myself for not thinking of that.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.