I’ve always wanted to find out why is:
1) Shoreditch HS in Z1 (absolutely pointless),
2) Theydon Bois and Epping are in Z6 whereas Cheshunt is in Z8,
3) Watford Z7, Watford HS Z8 and Watford Jcn Z10,
so this site looks like the right place… 🙂
1) It’s too close to Liverpool Street. If it was zone 2 then a lot of commuters from the East and South would travel there rather than into zone 1.
2) Essex Council provide a financial contribution to allow the whole end of the line to be in zone 6. It’s a similar situation to Caterham, Tattenham Corner and Epsom Downs in Surrey which all used to be beyond zone 6.
3) Watford is down to usefulness of service and time to Central London.
1) Yes, but that’s not a fair reason in my opinion. For example, people travelling from let’s say Dalston via Shoreditch to Shadwell, continuing east via DLR, get overcharged.
2) Interesting, but that means very expensive fares for the Cheshunt branch… :/
3) What do you mean please? 😀 If you compare Watford HS & Jcn with other lines, they lie in the middle of zone 7.
4) Seen already… 😉